Dawn Lee Ceylon Cinnamon
Cinnamon is an exotic spice with a warm, sweet taste and pungent aroma. Cinnamon’s delicately nuanced flavor works well in sweet and savory foods, baked dishes, and drinks. It is extensively used for seasoning and flavoring.
As a spice, cinnamon is available in powder form or whole, as pieces of bark.
There are two main types of cinnamon: cassia-"false cinnamon" or "Chinese cinnamon" and Ceylon- known as "true cinnamon". Both of them have different nutritional profiles and have a huge difference in prices too.
Ceylon cinnamon contains a small or negligible amount of coumarin- a natural plant chemical that acts as a blood thinner; whereas cassia cinnamon contains high levels of coumarin. This can be harmful to the liver and kidney when consumed regularly. Also Ceylon cinnamon has a more earthly, exotic smell and taste, and the flavor is complex.
Cassia cinnamon does not carry the same antioxidant properties as Ceylon cinnamon. Cassia is cheaper to produce and has a bolder, less subtle flavor than true cinnamon.
It has amazing medicinal properties like-
- It is loaded with a large amount of highly effective antioxidants.
- It helps the body to fight various kinds of infection and also helps to repair tissues.
- It has multiple benefits like- reduces the risk of heart diseases, lowers blood sugar levels, maintains required cholesterol level, has potential use in cancer prevention and treatment, fights bacterial infections, etc.
- Cinnamon oil helps to treat some types of fungal infections.
Dawn Lee’s Specialty-
Dawn Lee is providing pure Ceylon cinnamon with more sweetness and less sharpness.
True cinnamon is soft, fragile and can be easily broken. Dawn Lee’s cinnamon is in the form of extremely thin rolls that can be crushed into powder by just pressing between the hands. Thus you can get a sniff of freshly pulverized cinnamon.
- Forgery in the market- The cassia cinnamon from China and Vietnam is sold in the market in the name of pure ayurvedic cinnamon. As a matter of fact, authentic cinnamon is produced either in India or in Sri Lanka (Ceylon).
- Ceylon Cinnamon is warmer in tone and tan in color with a sweet flavor. Cassia is more of a reddish-brown in color and has a more coarse texture, with a stronger, yet bitterer flavor.
- Cassia cinnamon is considered lower quality. It is very cheap and is the type most commonly consumed around the world.
- Ground cinnamon available in the market is usually cassia cinnamon.