Black pepper is an impressive spice with versatile uses. It has a sharp, hot and biting flavor.
It has many medicinal properties like-
- It is high in anti-oxidants.
- It enhances the oxygen supply to brain and thus helps in its development.
- It has anti-inflammatory, cancer-fighting properties.
- It boosts the absorption of essential nutrients from food, for instance - calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C etc.
Dawn Lee’s Specialty-
High quality, dried, whole unripe fruits of pepper plant (Piper nigrum) are used.
The black pepper is unpolished and no chemicals are used to give it a shine.
- The black pepper available in market has many adulterants (like-Papaya seeds, artificial color etc).
- Quick Water Tests for authenticity- Add some black pepper in a glass of water and wait for some time. If it settles at the bottom surface of the glass then it is pure otherwise it has adulterants. The floating black pepper particles indicate the presence of papaya seeds in them.
- Also we can test for papaya seeds by eating them as they will not have pungent taste.